Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Land Records

I've been reading about ways to go around brickwalls in genealogy research. One of the suggestions is to use Land Records. So, I got on the BLM (Bureau of Land management) and looked up Reuben F Miner, my 2ggreat-grandfather. Although I have alot of records on him and his children, I have very little on his father. I figured I would just start on Reuben and maybe get a better understanding of him. I found the listing of the deed in 1876 and can even get a copy of the original deed, but I'm not sure how to find the additional records I've read about. I would like to find out what happened to the land, since in 1880 he was living in another state and in 1883 he was back in Wisconsin, and endless he was logging on it, he was some where else. in Wisconsin. His wife Mary Lucy Starkey Miner, supposedly died a few months after giving birth and they were staying at a logging camp at the time of her death.

I guess I'll have to do some studying about land records and deeds before I can really use them. I have some other people I'm researching, that it might help useing land records, but I need to learn how to use the ones I can find easily first. Since I live in Arkansas and all my research is in the Northern states I rely on the Internet and films alot. I can't just go down to the court house and look the records up. Although I would like to do some research like that some day.

No comments: